Continuing the Conversation

My Favorite Red-Leaning Sources

Home Forums Discussion Forums News You Can Muse My Favorite Red-Leaning Sources

• Just to start the conversation, here are some of my favorite Red-leaning news and opinion sites. In reply, please comment on them or suggest others of your own.

My Go-To: The Wall Street Journal
      https://www.wsj.com/

Presumably well known by all. If you are a subscriber, you know the depth and breadth of coverage. If you are not a regular reader, you may associate it with “the right”. That is only partly correct. The editorial pages of the WSJ are solidly center-right (although occasionally hosting a voice from the left for contrast). The motto is “Free People, Free Markets”. I find the editorials, both staff and guest, consistently interesting, reasonable, and informative. My favorite editorialist is Holman Jenkins: original, insightful, provocative, quirky.

In contrast, the WSJ news coverage does not lean right, in my opinion. (And I have read some studies backing that up.) The news department is well separated from the editorial page and offers centrist, balanced, high-quality journalism.

Each morning begins with the WSJ. I read the news to find what’s happening; I read the editorials to find out what to think about it.

Center-Right: American Enterprise Institute
      https://www.aei.org/

This about sums it up: “The American Enterprise Institute is a public policy think tank dedicated to defending human dignity, expanding human potential, and building a freer and safer world. The work of our scholars and staff advances ideas rooted in our belief in democracy, free enterprise, American strength and global leadership, solidarity with those at the periphery of our society, and a pluralistic, entrepreneurial culture.”

The AEI is moderately conservative, with highly accomplished scholars and commentators. Their views are wide-ranging and not ideological. They often partner with center-left scholars from The Brookings Institute. One of my favorite authors is Yuval Levin, much of whose work is closely related to the mission of Braver Angels.

Strong Right: Hoover Institute
      https://www.hoover.org/

“With its eminent scholars and world-renowned library and archives, the Hoover Institution seeks to improve the human condition by advancing ideas that promote economic opportunity and prosperity, while securing and safeguarding peace for America and all mankind.”

The articles are of high quality and researched in depth, but my feeling is that Hoover scholars generally hold stronger, more ideologically-formed opinions. If I read something from a Hoover scholar, I always want to ask the “What Am I Missing” question.

Other Think Tanks

So this post doesn’t ramble too long, I’ll just mention: the Manhattan Institute (strong right) and the Cato Institute (libertarian).

Dirty Little Secret: The Drudge Report
      https://www.drudgereport.com/

You may know Drudge Report as the right-wing scandal sheet that let us into Bill Clinton’s private office. It was that, but the Drudge Report has evolved over time and indexes a vast array of sources, from the left as well as the right (and a few beyond the fringe). Opening it in the morning is always a treat, and often informative. You will find things here first. Of course you do have to skip past the occasional UFO or two-headed baby story. Or maybe not, as you wish. On the Internet, nobody knows what you read. (Yeah, right.)

• I would add Fox News to your list

• Do you refer to the website or the cable network? I have an aversion to anything on TV; I only read news, and once in a while watch a video or podcast. It’s a personal preference: I just don’t like media which controls the focus of attention and pace.

For some years I did occasionally watch Fox on TV. They had some excellent reporters. But the ones I enjoyed seem to leave. Which reporters, or programs do you follow?

I also read Real Clear Politics. It does an excellent job of aggregating opinion across the spectrum, as well as featuring conservative view points.

• I refer to website. The world seems to only exist on internet anymore. We “cut the cable” years ago and don’t miss it a bit.

Don’t ever forget that an unbelievable number of people under 35 get their only news from NBC Saturday Night’s Weekend Update

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.